Auto Magic believes the more you know and understand about your braking system the safer you will be. Here are some common problems that should warrant your immediate attention. Failure do so may cause further damage, breakdown or an accident. This is a limited list and each circumstance may be different and on most items, true diagnosis can only be made on physical inspection of your vehicle by a qualified professional. You can book our Safety Check or our Comprehensive Inspection at the convenient Auto Magic location.
Always have your brakes checked and properly diagnosed by experts. And ensure your car’s brakes are checked each time you have your car serviced.
The following Fault Diagnosis provides some professional insight
into the trouble-shooting of brake systems and components.
In addition to knowledge and experience,
some brake repairs require specialist equipment.
|Brake Warning |
|Fault in braking system:|
• This may be caused by a leak or lack of fluid or faulty master cylinder or servo, which will render your brakes not fully functional. Do not drive the vehicle, as it could be dangerous.
• It could also be a faulty sensor or electrical fault
• Fill up the brake fluid reservoir, check for leaks, normal brake pedal operation and call Auto Magic for professional assistance.
|ABS Warning |
|Fault in the ABS Braking system (where fitted):|
• Your brakes should work but there will be no ABS operation. So if you brake hard your wheels may lock up.
• ABS systems are complex and can only be repaired by professionals. Call Auto Magic to get the fault rectified.
|Brake Fade||• Incorrect, distorted, or heat-effected linings|
• Overloaded vehicle
• Rear brakes not working properly
• Renew pads or shoes
• Decrease vehicle load
• Inspect system
|Spongy Pedal||• Air in system|
• Distorted or faulty linings
• Check for air and bleed if necessary
• Check linings and master cylinder
|Long Pedal Travel||• Loose or worn bearings|
• Disc run out
• Drum brakes need adjustment
• Fluid leak
• Check and replace components as necessary
(Fluid, Rubbers, Servo)
• Check and adjust clearances, hub, disc mounting, and filler cap vent
|Brakes Binding||• Handbrake maladjusted|
• Seized caliper pistons
• Check adjustment, cable
• Check for seized pistons and weak shoe springs
• Repair or replace worn parts
|Hard Pedal||• Poor Braking caused by incorrect or glazed linings|
• Servo inoperative
• Seized caliper pistons
• Faulty Master Cylinder
• Poorly bedded in-linings
• Check and replace parts as necessary, check hoses for obstruction.
|Weak or Ineffective Handbrake||• Your handbrake should not require more than 5 clicks to hold your car on a steep road|
• Handbrake cable may need adjusting or replacement
• Worn rear brake pads or faulty rear brakes
|Master Cylinder Leakage or Failure||• Check for fluid contamination, reseal or replace|
|Brakes Pulling or Locking Up||• Distorted discs or oval drums|
• Renew or replace worn discs and drums
|Drop in the|
Brake Fluid Level
|• Worn pads|
• Brake fluid leak in calipers, brake cylinders hoses, and connections
• Top up fluid level and check and replace linings, hoses, and other parts as necessary
• Leaks in brake calipers, wheel cylinders hoses, and connections
• Replace and tighten where necessary
|Brake Squeal||• Worn retaining pins|
• No pad dampening shims
• Incorrect pads
• Replace components
• Fit correct pads
|Loss of Pedal||• Master cylinder failure|
• Burst pipe or hose
• Fluid seal leak
• Overheated or vaporized brake fluid
• Excessive brake usage
• Fit new components
• Change brake fluid
• Upgrade system
|Pedal Flutter |
|• Distorted discs or oval drums|
• Renew worn discs and drums
|Brake Pads |
Worn Smooth but
|• Check caliper operation|
• Check pad corrosion
• Check retaining springs
• Check condition of disc
• Replace and service all effected components not just the pads
• Machine or replace as necessary
|Brake Pad Glazed or Bluing||• Pad has probably overheated|
• Remove and replace
|Caliper Piston Stuck or Uneven Operation||• Corroded or worn caliper slides|
• Overhaul caliper
• Reseal as necessary
Obtain a professional system check by Auto Magic Auto Brake Service to be sure you are safe and that your problem is correctly diagnosed. Also make sure that your rear stoplights are working and replace blown light bulbs as necessary.
|Replace pads or shoes in pairs – to all wheels on the same axle.|
|Have you Brake fluid flushed and replaced every 12 months or 20,000kms|
|Bleed the brake system after any repairs to displace any air in the system|
|Take care with Brake Fluid as it is highly corrosive and will damage |
painted surfaces and allow rust to form
|Check rubbers and hoses to ensure they are tight and leak free. Replace at recommended intervals as leaking or porous materials will allow air and moisture into your brake fluid which will reduce performance and safety to dangerous levels|
Auto Magic sells quality parts to suit any vehicle, but take care with home servicing of your car’s brakes because you cannot afford to make mistakes. Obtain the correct part and advice from Auto Magic first.
COMPLETE SERVICE OF VEHICLES
Why not have your car serviced at Auto Magic where we offer you full manufacturers handbook service for your car. In that way you will have your brakes, clutch, suspension, steering, tires, and mechanicals checked by professionals every time. You will find Auto Magic will more than likely save you time and money with the correct advice and service.